Monday, April 18, 2005

Has anyone seen my appetite?

Here it is. The philosophy of honesty:

Philosophy is something I wanted to learn about to impress other people. But the truth is I know nothing of philosophy. Well, not nothing, but not very much. What I do know is that philosophy told in a story is easier to swallow than how its written in books.

A few days ago, I got a call from an old friend.

Friend: do you have a blog
Me: yes
Friend: is your name Luccy?
Me: yes
Friend: oh. Your profile threw me off
Me: why’s that?
Friend: because of the books you listed
Me: which books confused you?
Friend: the Wittgenstien and Russell

The conversation made me realize that I shouldn’t talk about things I know little about. (I just ended that sentence with a preposition, but I am not much of a writer so I don’t really care.) The conversation inspired me to investigate further. The problem is I enjoy studying philosophy more than just to impress others and to sound intelligent. It makes me want to be a better person. For a period of time I was obsessed with the idea that a philosophical theory only had value if it could transpire into an action. After speaking with my friend I realized this may not be the case. Apparently Burtand Russell taught his children about intercourse by performing sexual acts on his wife in front of them. Eventually all his children killed themselves, which provided me with evidence that philosophy can be very dangerous when it practiced as an action.

Sometimes theories should be just that.
Somethings are better left to the imagination.
Sometimes fantasy is more beautiful than reality.

Enough of that.

FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS…I’ve got to study.